'IRC Setup for the MMO kit
This tutorial will assume you have no clue how to setup an IRC server on windows this will not cover linux servers or Mac yet.
To begin you will need to get the latest copy of Beware ircd you can do that here http://ircd.bircd.org/ 1. Once you have it you can extract it to c:\IRCD and then open IRCD.conf with notepad.
2. Locate line M:my.server.name::I'm too lazy to edit ircd.conf::1 lets break this down
3. (M) is the veriable name it cannot be changed.
4. (my.server.name) this needs to be changed to your URL for example irc.munkydoo.com if you don’t have a URL you can get free ones at http://www.dyndns.com/ but I recommend you buy a true domain name, http://www.godaddy.com is the one I use but any will work you must have one and it must be pointed to the IP of your server to work (somtimes it can take 24 hrs for a new domain to register)
5. (I’m too lazy to edit ircd.conf) this line is the server description and needs to reflect your game or company name at very least
6. (1) is the server numeric this is basicly a shortname for your server to speed up bandwidth it must be a number I recommend leaving it default.
7. The default port for IRC is 6667 and for the kit it is also 6667 so I will not go into detail how to change this but I will show you where if you look at this line again M:my.server.name::I'm too lazy to edit ircd.conf::1 you will notice that ::1 has two seperation line :: to change the port simply put a new port number in between these so like :7000: this makes your line look like M:my.server.name::I'm too lazy to edit ircd.conf:7000:1
Now to change the game to point to our server
1. Open up mud\world\irc.py with your editor
2. Search and replace #prairiegames with #yourchannelname in all its instances
3. Search and replace #pg_global with #yourchannelname _global in all its instances
4. Search and replace #pg_help with #yourchannelname_help in all its instances
5. And lastly do the same for mud\client\irc.py and then find line reactor.connectTCP("irc.prairiegames.com", 6667, cf) and change the URL irc.prairiegames.com to your server URL and the port 6667 to your port you defined in irc.conf of the IRC server That’s it you are all set close everything and open c:\IRCD then run bircd.exe (you will not see anything run but the server has started) once you see the file stdout.txt generated you can open it to make sure it started succesfuly if so then you are all done you can open your game and chat on your own IRC server
also need to add that when you go live with your game you may want to change MaxClients?=512 in c:\ircd\bircd.ini to a higher number but i would not go past 1000 with one server i will add another tutorial later to tell you about irc clustering for more servers